The Center for Online Learning (COL) Student Tutoring Center connects students with convenient online resources that will assist them in every stage of the writing process, from brainstorming to proofreading. With help from the Student Tutoring Center, students can improve their writing ability and the quality of their research. Follow the links below to access information on the writing process, grammar and punctuation, style, editing, internet based research, documentation, and plagiarism:
- Learning Resource Center
- The Learning Resource Center is an academic support system for students who matriculate at Saint Leo University. Tutors are available to help students with writing, history, political science, humanities, English, math, physics, biology, chemistry, criminal justice, law, and psychology.
- Monday through Thursday from 7:30 AM to 10 PM
- Friday from 7:30 AM to 5 PM
- Sunday from 6 to 10 PM
- Phone: 352-588-8307
- E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
||Click Here for information on Smarthinking: Information on Smarthinking
- The Writing Process
- Paradigm Online Writing Assistant
- The Paradigm Online Writing Assistant (Chuck Guilford, 1996) highlights every aspect of the writing process from beginning to end. This site features samples and how to’sfor informal, argumentative, and explanatory essays. Each section ends with a brief exercise that reinforces main concepts.
- General Writing Concerns
- The Purdue University Online Writing Lab provides an extensive collection of handouts on writing and research. These materials highlight suggestions for planning, coping with anxiety and writer’s block, choosing a writing style, and editing.
- The UMUC Online Tutoring Center
- This page features self-study modules on several important aspects of the writing process: plagiarism, writing and research, grammar, and writing. ESL resources are also available.
Tutoring Center Menu
- Writing Tips
- Saint Leo Learning Resource Center: Online Writing Help
- Use this link to email the tutoring staff at the Saint Leo Learning Resource Center. They can assist you throughout the writing process, from topic development to editing. You can also send your final papers for online essay critiquing. Questions and papers are submitted via email, please allow at least 3 days for a response.
- Online Grammar Guides
- The University Tutoring Center at George Mason University has compiled a listing of external grammar guides. Featured guides are: Strunk and White Online, Grammar Safari, and Grammar Slammer. Follow these links for extensive information.
- The Purdue Online Writing Lab
- The most extensive collection of online writing resources, this site includes printable handouts and PowerPoint presentations on topics ranging from planning and pre-writing to editing and documentation. This site also includes links to Tutoring Centers across the country.
- Writing Effective Resumes and Cover Letters
- Visit JobWeb for tips on writing resumes and cover letters. The site is a valuable resource for those creating their first resumes or those who would like tips on enhancing their current resumes. Follow the sampleslink for sample resumes from a variety of disciplines and cover letters for your job search. Tutoring Center Menu
- Research and Documentation
- Saint Leo University Cannon Memorial Library
- Follow this link to access the Cannon Memorial Library Online. From this site you can search for texts using LeoCat Voyager and Net Library. The Ask-A-Librarian feature connects students with Saint Leo librarians who can assist them in the research process or in finding sources outside the St. Leo library collection. Using the Ask-A-Librarian feature, students can also receive research materials from printed sources via email.
- Using the Internet as a Research Tool
- This page from the Purdue University Online Writing Lab features detailed guidelines for using the internet as a research tool. Specific information on using search engines and evaluating sources is included on this page.
- The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly
- Susan E. Beck (2002, New Mexico State University Library) created a site devoted entirely to evaluating web sources. The menu on the home page guides researchers to examples of good sources and to an outline of evaluation criteria.
- Turnitin.com is the evaluation site used by St. Leo University to assist students with writing and help to prevent potential plagiarism. Remember, any work that is not your own must be documented. For further information see the Saint Leo University Student Handbook. Review the turnitin.com site to see how the program works.
- Modern Language Association
- The official site of MLA, contains brief information about citing online sources.
- American Psychological Association
- The official site of APA, also contains information on documenting online sources. Tutoring Center Menu
Harvard APA Exposed Online Tutorial
Harvard Univeristy’s Graduate School of Education provide “how to” videos of APA writing style, format, and documenting sources. APA Exposed
- Math Resources
- Extensive subject directory has sections on education and key issues in math. For students, parents and researchers. Tutoring Center Menu